How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10022
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I 't know the term an attorney is paid half of the money

Customer Question

I don't know the term for when an attorney is paid half of the money awarded a client when he/she has won the case and awarded nothing if the case is lost. Also, where I could find this type of attorney.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

This is called a contingency fee agreement.

The attorney's portion need not be 50%, as that can be negotiated. Many will charge 30% for services, and 40% if it goes to trial (versus settlement).

An attorney can be located here:

You would choose the area of law (ie personal injury, general civil, etc) and then contact the firm of choice to see if they accept contingency fee cases. This is most common in personal injury cases.

Please don't forget to click on the Happy face for a Positive rating!

Related Legal Questions