Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

The legal attorney representing the owner of the commercial

Customer Question

the legal attorney representing the owner of the commercial property in which I rented from wants to meet and confer after I was sue and I answered. Can I not meet with them because they just want to manipulate me as they have done in the past? I just want my chance of the story heard by my trial date in July 2016. It is required to do the meet and confer in California?
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello Yeu. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You are NOT charged anything more than what you agreed to pay by clicking the rating buttons. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. You are under NO obligation to meet with the attorney for the commercial property to discuss settlement, but you ARE under an obligation in CA to "meet" and "confer" to discuss discovery (the exchange of documents). I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra. We only get credit for the type we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just do not want to meet, I just want to go to my trial date, and I am preparing my documents to present. I am not sure what the aty wants and I am afraid to give out the wrong info or get manipulated. Advice

If this relates to discovery (the exchange of information) you have to meet, as per California law. If it relates to settlement, you don't have to discuss settling if you choose not to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a demurrer? Can she file it and throw my answer out of court?

You're not required to give out any information at the meet and confer - but discovery is a process of exchanging documents both sides have and it's required. A demurrer is a written response to a complaint filed in a lawsuit which pleads for dismissal on the point that even if the facts alleged in the complaint were true, there is no legal basis for a lawsuit. Please let me know if I can clarify anything else for you. Since we have been working together for a while, I would appreciate if you would take a moment to submit a rating b/c that's the only way I receive credit for working with you.