Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

When I go to a particular grocery a floor follows me around.

Customer Question
When I go to a...
When I go to a particular grocery a floor walker follows me around. Makes my shopping experience very uncomfortable.
Is it harassment to keep it up even beyond today's trip as in every time I go there?
If facial recognition is involved they got the wrong person; my record is clean.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. It is not harassment to simply follow someone around in the store... arguably. It would be harassment if they followed you outside the store. For purposes of a restraining order, harassment is defined as: repeated actions (such as following you, making harassing telephone calls, or sending harassing emails) that seriously alarm, annoy, or harass you, and that serve no legitimate purpose and causes you to be extremely emotionally upset (distressed). Ca .C.C.P. § 527.6(b).

So simply following one around the store when one is on that store may not measure up to that level. However one is free to talk to the management; perhaps they will tell the employee to cut it out.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law