Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My father passed away in December. He was terrific with s

Customer Question
My father passed away in...
My father passed away in December. He was terrific with his money and planned. There are 5 of us. My older sister is now exec. of his estate. I was on all my father's accounts but as my oldest son is going to college, I did not want it to look like I have 50k in a checking account that does not belong to me it belongs to the trust. In the trust there is a one year right to occupy and right of refusal. So one of my sister's who was living with my parents is staying there. We have had several meetings and have agreed to make sure we have realtors come in and make suggestions on what fixes would make the most impact and then sell as is. We also agreed at our last meeting that nothing was to be done until we had a professinal make suggestions in writing. Long story short my sister never consulted anyone, tore all the wall paper off, and is having a painter come in for the foyer. She has threatened to change the locks if we have a realtor come in and said she can do anything she wants as she is paying property taxes. She is not, the trust is covering property taxes, as my sister wanted her to stay there.
We have a lawyer that have guiding us, but I am wondering if we should involve him now or if there is a form we can all sign saying no work is getting paid for unless there is a consensus of 3 or more?
Because I reminded her that there are 5 of us, we should all be consulted and were not, and were supposed to ask realtors for their rec
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/23/2016
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

.

It would be great if she consulted you regarding these decisions and also if she was willing to have a "rule by majority" type of situation but unfortunately she isn't required to (and I suspect she already knows that). You may be able to put some pressure on her via the other siblings. Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance. We only get credit for the type we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney