Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live in louisiana i am going through divorce on 10/20/15

Customer Question
gave attorney 200 cons. fee...
i live in louisiana i am going through divorce on 10/20/15 gave attorney 200 cons. fee , 10/27/15 gave 3500.00 retainer met with him twice 2 hours total phone calls total 45 minutes no property no children have not been to court wife got continuance got first bill on 03/05/16 with balance due 1700.00 dollars so thats 5200.00 total so far and wants 2000.00 more deposit is his billing technique allowed under ethics clause by the state bar 99 days seems along time for first bill
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/22/2016
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear this;

here is Rule 1.5

(a) A lawyer shall not make an agreement for, charge, or collect an unreasonable fee or an unreasonable amount for expenses. The factors to be considered in determining the reasonableness of a fee include the following:

(1) the time and labor required, the novelty and difficulty of the questions involved, and the skill requisite to perform the legal service properly;

(2) the likelihood, if apparent to the client, that the acceptance of the particular employment will preclude other employment by the lawyer;

(3) the fee customarily charged in the locality for similar legal services;

(4) the amount involved and the results obtained;

(5) the time limitations imposed by the client or by the circumstances;

(6) the nature and length of the professional relationship with the client;

(7) the experience, reputation, and ability of the lawyer or lawyers performing the services; and

(8) whether the fee is fixed or contingent.

Generally a lawyer's fee is between $200-600 per hour, depending on location (rural/metro), experience (specialty, years), prestige of firm.

The rules are accessible here:

https://www.ladb.org/Material/Publication/ROPC/ROPC.pdf

It does state a preference for written agreements, but that is not required; however, when determining how reasonable a fee is, they will look to similarly situated attorneys in that particular area, in that practice (ie family law, civil law, etc). Also, most attorneys are expected to bill monthly so that may be an issue with the bar.

Most fee agreements require arbitration of fee disputes. information on that and on filing a complaint is located here:

https://www.lsba.org/Public/complaints.aspx

Generally it is best to sit down with the attorney and find out how the miscommunication occurred and to request that the bill be adjusted accordingly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is ok i thought you could send me a answer under code of ethics literture so i would know if he was breaking code enforced by bar
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
www.lsba.org/Public/co... is not valid address now i am not satisfied

Let me relink you; there may be a problem with a space in that address.

The Professional rules of conduct (rule 1.5) is the state's ethical rules and the bar enforces those violations.

Were you able to view the documents after I relinked you?

Kindly rate positively - it does not result in additional charges to you but allows the site to credit me. If you have further questions please post here!

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer