How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A medical assistant in my doctors office copied my medical

Customer Question

A medical assistant in my doctors office copied my medical records brought them to my house and threatened me with them... I informed my physician about this and he blew it off. A month later I was fired from that practice after going to them for 20 years. I could not get in to see another specialist whom I desparately needed. I have had several medical problems as a result of not having a cardiologist.
I have filed a complaint with the federal agency but I am wondering if their is any recourse I can take against the health system, physician or the medical assistant.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of medico-legal experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

Here are some avenues of potential recourse for you under the circumstances:

- You can sue the physician for medical malpractice if you feel comfortable in your ability to show that his termination of relationship placed you at risk and that he did nothing to mitigate that risk and did not attempt to place you with a suitable replacement (you can actually sue the system, physician and assistant all in one suit); and

- You can file a complaint with your state's board of medical licensing against the physician for unprofessional and perhaps unethical treatment...if they find in your favor, they can suspend his license to practice.

Those are basically the only two viable courses of action for you moving forward on this issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my response.

I wish you all the best going forward with your health as well as this issue!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to see if you had any additional questions. I want you to be as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in again. This is important to me because it is important to you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!