How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 116754
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

RE: Writ of Certiorari .S. Supreme Court. The district court

Customer Question

RE: Writ of Certiorari for U.S. Supreme Court.
The district court judge did not issue an opinion with the final judgment however he did issue opinions on pre-trial motions (i.e. for summary judgment). Do I include the these in the "Opinion Below" section?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to include everything that was submitted in the case in the court below. As far as the judge not providing a written opinion on the final judgment, you need to file a motion for conclusions of law and findings of fact (asking for a written opinion) which you are entitled to receive. That would be then included in the record on appeal together with the transcript of the hearing as well.
You would include all of the written opinions for the opinion below as well as what was said in the oral judgment from the transcript. You still need to file a motion though to ask he court for the written opinion of the court.