How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117358
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What states offer common law marriage? can I get money from

Customer Question

What states offer common law marriage? can I get money from my ex husband we were married 32 years and had 4 children all married. I live in a senior home.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Texas is a state that recognizes a common law marriage formed within the state of Texas. They call it an informal marriage. It requires you to prove that you lived together as husband and wife with an intent to be married and you held yourself out to the public as being married the whole time. If you are in an informal marriage in Texas, you would be entitled to share in community property of all property and assets acquired during the informal marriage and also could be entitled to spousal support based on the long term marriage.
It does not matter what states offer common law marriage, it matters that at the time you formed your informal marriage you were in a state that recognizes them. The following states still recognize common law marriages if formed within their state, Alabama, Colorado, District of Columbia, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Utah and Texas. Also, in GA if you formed the common law marriage before 1/1996 or Idaho before 1/1997, the common law marriage would be recognized.

Related Legal Questions