How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9992
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the state of Ks. Can you legally use the title doctor if

Customer Question

In the state of Ks. Can you legally use the title doctor if you have a doctor of pastoral science license.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I hold a phd in nutrition and natural health. Also a phd in health coaching. Also doctor of pastoral science from the pma. Trying to see if I can legally use the title doctor in state of Ks with this background. Since my license is ecesiastical through pma.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: No. Just trying to determine if I can use term and put it on business cards
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Thanks; a few minutes please as I'm still looking into this

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Here is the statute governing MDs:

65-2867. Certain acts prohibited; exceptions; penalties. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed under the Kansas healing arts act or whose license has been revoked or suspended to open or maintain an office for the practice of the healing arts as defined in this act or to announce or hold out to the public the intention, authority or skill to practice the healing arts as defined in the Kansas healing arts act by the use of any professional degree or designation, sign, card, circular, device, advertisement or representation.

(b) This section shall not apply to any health care provider who in good faith renders emergency care or assistance at the scene of an emergency or accident as authorized by K.S.A. 65-2891, and amendments thereto.

(c) It shall not be considered a violation of the Kansas healing arts act if an unlicensed person appends to such person's name the word "doctor" or the letters "M.D.," "D.O." or "D.C.," if such person has earned such professional degree from an accredited healing arts school or college, and if the use of such word or initials is not misleading the public, patients or other health care providers that such person: (1) Is engaged in the practice of the healing arts within this state; or (2) is licensed to practice the healing arts in this state. The provisions of this subsection shall apply to any proceeding pending before the board that has not reached a final order or disposition by the board prior to the effective date of this act and to any proceeding commenced before the board on or after the effective date of this act.

(d) Violation of this section is a severity level 10, nonperson felony. In addition, violation of this section may subject a person to civil fines and assessment of reasonable costs of investigation and prosecution.

Please note subsec c in particular. Also please verify that the school is properly accredited.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly
-Rate Positively-
This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.

Thank you and take care!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions on the above? If so please post here and I will continue to help you. Otherwise please rate as satisfied so I receive credit for assisting you. Thanks!