How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Olivia Kent Your Own Question
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 871
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Olivia Kent is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I grew up in Granite City, Illinois and moved to

Customer Question

I grew up in Granite City, Illinois and moved to Philadelphia, PA about 10 years ago, about 7 years ago my mother moved here to help me with my son, the rest of our family (my sisters and her kids) stayed behind. Now last year my mother suffered a severe stroke and I have a 2 story row home and I work full time, so I Had to put her in a nursing home. She can not speak,hardly at all just about 20 words or so, she is paralyzed. Problem is, now I want to move back to Illinois to be closer to the rest of my family, I really dislike Philadelphia, I have told my mother this, got an ombudsmun involved and arranged transportation and my mom told them "no". She pointed around, said "home". She gets along with the people there, they are nice enough, a little neglectful but the biggest problem is I am all alone, I have no help, I only get to go see her a few times a month! I cant do it alone, my sister has come to visit and begged her to go and she hit the side of her chair, pointed to the grand kids and her heart and said "NO". The social worker says that she is competent enough to make her own choices but how do they even know that? NO one has told me what her mental capacity is. They say I cant make her go but I do not even know for sure if she knows what me leaving means. She will be all alone and thats it? I need help! What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney (and also an M.D.). I'll be happy to help you.

I'm so sorry about your mother. It's very, very difficult when we are put in the position of making decisions for our parents - or trying to "override" the decisions they want to make. But rest assured, a stroke does not typically lead to 'incompetence' - so if your mother was competent before, there's really no reason to believe she is not now. You can however take her to a physician who can evaluate her - in can be a PCP, but a neurologist would probably be more useful. If she is competent, she would be of course aware of the decisions she is making and presumably the ramifications of those decisions.

Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything.

Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance. We only get credit for the type we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND *ALSO*​ submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.