How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7350
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be 54 years old in 10 days,when I was 27 I was ran

Customer Question

I will be 54 years old in 10 days,when I was 27 I was ran over by a drunk driver,I was busted up pretty good. The most traumatic injury was to my brain , since then I have lost my ability to feel hunger. I have no perception of time what so ever , hour ,day, week, year, 10 years its all the same to me. I can not tell the difference on the time when things happen. As for the rest of my body ,it was badly broken. As a result I live in severe pain, doctor told me years ago as I get older the pain will worsen. Well they told the truth ,the pain is at the point I am seeking help were none can be found.
What must be understood is,because of my brain injury I can not take the pain meds that are on the market. I can not take any meds that are derived from the opium poppy. Because of this I am left to suffer a life of torcher and agony. I have been a test goat for new med that come out on the market to no avail. The only pain medicine that I can take with out any bad side effects is Demerol. That is were my problem is at, you see since generic drugs hit the market no insurance company will help pay for the medicine. What I can not understand is that before generic drugs hit the market I could buy Demerol for around $14 per scrip or 30 day supply. Now a 30 day supply is over $800,and the doctor must indicate no generic drugs only name brand. It is almost impossible to get a doctor to do that, and when I do,can not afford it. They say its a dirty drug, to habit forming, so on and so forth. What I do not understand is that I am going to have to live on pain meds the rest of my life so what does it matter. A drug habit is only a problem when the drug is not available to that person. If the only way I can live is on pain meds then what is the problem. No matter what the pain med is, I will still get addicted to it,because that is the only way for me to survive in this world. I have been fighting this for so long an I am done. I am at a lost ,I am worn slap out, can go no further. I have by the United States government and there doctors been diagnosed with terminal pain. It is NEVER going to get better, they have told me the day will come when the pain will be to much for my heart to take. When will the straw that brakes the camels back land on me. Without meds it will not be long. Now with all that said, what I would like to know from you is,by law, do I have a right to die. Can I force the United States government to give me a lethal injection, and put me to rest. I am tired of the fight,I want to throw in the towel. What I need is help to petition the government to do so. Is it possible to do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpCan you tell me, what state do you live in please?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear about your condition. There is no legal "right to die" legislation anywhere in the US, federal or state in which the government will actively assist you to die. My question to you is have you investigated foreign countries where the generic drugs that you need exist for you to use? There should be local medical service organizations where you live could research this question, including a way to obtain funds to help you move. I don't fully understand the generic drug prescription problem that you describe, but perhaps the drug manufacturer might be approached by an organization to do something to help you get the medication you need. I wish you the best of luck.