How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My property floods when it rains since La Paz County

Customer Question

My property floods when it rains since La Paz County re-surfaced the street in front of my house. My property is now lower elevation than the street. What are my options? Bill
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

The first step is to file an administrative claim with the County (you can do this either with the streets department or the County Counsel (the County's attorney)). This is how most claims against public entities are resolved, the County will generally evaluate the situation, come up with an engineering fix for the problem, and you can negotiate compensation for any damage that occurred.

If that fails to resolve the problem, you can then sue the County for damages and injunctive relief (a court order requiring the county to maintain their improvements (the road) in such a way that they are no longer damaging private property.