How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrakeLAW Your Own Question
DrakeLAW, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 741
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC
Type Your Legal Question Here...
DrakeLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went through meditation in my divorce and we came to a

Customer Question

Hi, I went through meditation in my divorce and we came to a settlement agreement February 4, 2016. We went to court on February 15, 2016 and was told that he had no money to give me because he's on a fixed income. The money is tied up in Roth IRA's, Life Insurance, and Savings. March 4, we went back to court, he gave me less than half. He then stated that if he withdraw from his IRA that there will be taxes. I am trying to relocate I agreed to pay the taxes he then said ok. He then said that it would be a 15% tax which would cause me to lose 15,000. to date I am still waiting . It's not right and there seem to be nothing I can do. My attorney seems to be working with my x now. He told me I had to pay him up front, which I did, after he saw how much the settlement agreement came to he then attached 4500 fee on me.
Please advise
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Sounds like you need a new lawyer. You can try to force him to act by filing a Petition for Order to Show Cause or a Petition to Enforce with the court, but I am not sure you want to do that on your own? You should probably see a new lawyer. If you are concerned about the billing and ethics of your existing lawyer, you might call the State bar and file a complaint. Also, if you are going to get a new lawyer, show him what your current lawyer did first and he will tell you if it is reasonable or not. You can also have his IRA split and half put in your name instead of having him withdraw it now. Does that help? Any other questions?

Related Legal Questions