Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am a plaintiff in a small claims court complaint in SC.

Customer Question

I am a plaintiff in a small claims court complaint in SC. There are 2 defendants involved. The complaint is the result of an auto accident involving an unlicensed driver colliding with my vehicle when the unlicensed driver made a left turn without stopping. The police report states that the unlicensed driver was solely responsible for the accident. He was given 2 citations (including one for driving without a license). The driver had no insurance. The owner of the other vehicle had insurance and his insurance has settled with my carrier and they in turn paid me for my vehicle. There was about 1,000.00 in other economic damages not included in that settlement that I had to file a suit in small claims court to collect. Since the claim also involved $295.00 in medical bills, the defendants insurance company agreed to pay my claim in full and they mailed a check to me. Meanwhile, I received a letter (responding to the small claims court complaint) from an attorney representing the 2 defendants denying all allegations in the complaint. Once I cash the insurance company's check what should I do?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Does the insurance company insure one or both defendants? Also, did the insurance company require you to sign a release before cashing the check?