How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102146
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex (was current bf at the time)stole my wallet without my

Customer Question

my ex (was current bf at the time)stole my wallet without my knowledge, took my license and registered a car in my name, had an accident and ran away from the scene. In order for me to restore my license its going to costs me 10,000. Is there anything I can do to go after him
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this. Please tell me:

1) When did all this happen?

2) What state is this in?

3) At the time, did you file a criminal complaint against him for doing this?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happened in 2003, NJ.....I did not, He went missing and I was forced to make some payments to get my license back at the time. Over the years I had to stop payments on the judgements because I could not afford them, so my license is currently suspended again and has been since about 2009/2010. I now would like to get it back again but the judgements are so heavy and I dnt feel as though I should have to pay for something I truly did not do. By the way his name just surfaced across my FB feed and this infuriated me.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you or your reply.

On this website I do not always get to give good news, and I am afraid that this is one of these times.

Normally, I would say that someone in your situation would have a civil case against him for the hardship he's caused. The issue here is statute of limitations which is the length of time someone has to file a case. Fraud is six years per N.J. Stat. § 2A:14-1. That can be extended but only to the time that one found out about the fraud, or reasonably should have (which is still more than 6 years ago based on the facts you told me). As such, it seems to late to file a civil case, arguably.

The same applies to criminal statutes where 7 years is the most that the prosecutor can take to charge someone like him for such offenses unless he was living out of state for some of that time.

So likely the statute of limitations block action in such a scenario.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Related Legal Questions