In Florida, how do you get your freedom from a guardian

Customer Question
after it's been a year...
In Florida, how do you get your freedom from a guardian after it's been a year since all you'd put in the dismissal papers. Is there a way after that 120 day period to get him to let go once and for all?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
He was a voluntary guardian and has made my cousin's life a living hell. He is asking her to sign something that says he is not responsible for missing moneys. It's been over a year and she can't get her pension or gain access to certain accounts. We managed to get her social security. I was told there was a 120 day maximum to let the ward free. The whole thing is very complicated. I just want to see if we can force his hand and gain her freedom. (By the way, the site is saying that it already has someone with my email. That someone is me.***@******.*** is my one and only email.)
It's been more than a day and no response. I'm assuming you don't know. Please Refund my $39.00. Thank you.
Answered in 2 days by:
3/18/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry, the experts are independent from the site and not employees and sometimes the site list does not show all questions immediately. I sincerely ***** ***** your question was caught up in that problem and technical support has been notified.
If this person is trying to get her to sign anything about money, she should refuse to sign period end of story. Second, if this guardianship was voluntary and through the court, then the ward may terminate the guardianship in writing through the court by filing a motion to terminate voluntary guardianship.
Furthermore, if this guardian is abusing the person and possibly stealing money, then FL Adult Protection Services is the place where you need to complain to have them follow up and pursue criminal charges against the guardian for taking any money.
Your cousin needs to file in court where the guardianship was filed and she needs to file a motion to terminate the guardianship and get the court to issue the order.