How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3914
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm furious and need your help immediately if possible! I've

Customer Question

I'm furious and need your help immediately if possible! I've been on mental health medication for years and my doctor left so I had to get my prescriptions renewed but no actual Psychiatrist was available which I didn't know. In place they put a FNP by name of Phil Sweet and he removed my ativan from 1 mg. @4x daily to .05 @1 per day and I've been a mess such as can't eat, don't sleep, confused by this happening, lost 22 pounds which I couldn't afford to do and now a doctor (Psychiatrist) took my anti-depressant away because he was so ignorant to me so I left. I went to a local doctor here by name of Dr. David Dargis, MD and he told me he won't prescribe my MENTAL HEALTH (his words not mine) so here I am no medicine. My name is***** and my age is 74 and I'm purely disgusted~~How much more can I take? The Psychiatrist told me I can continue on Ativan but I needed to go to another doctor. I've never seen this Phil Sweet and furthermore he doesn't belong in Behavioral Health with what he's dong!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You have two separate issues that must be addressed. The first is finding replacement mental health care as soon as possible. The second is the legal action that you can take for being abandoned as a patient.

As to the first, these two links can assist you in finding replacement care:,5885,7-339-71547_2943_52115-203750--,00.html

As to the second issue you it soes sound like you have a legitimate claim for abandonment. Abandonment occurs when a physician withdrawals from providing care to a patient without providing for appropriate substitute care. In your situation it appears that you may have been abandoned by more than one provider.

You can take either or both of the following actions:

1) File a complaint with the State Board of Medicine for Abandonment. The Board can not provide you any direct remedy, but it can pursue disciplinary action against the health care providers involved. Here is a link to the Board:,4601,7-154-72600_72603_27529_27541-58914--,00.html

2) You can bring a lawsuit against the providers for abandonment. You would need to hire an attorney to help you with that. This link can assist you with that.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,