Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If someone videotapes me do I have a right to see it?

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/15/2016
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

There is no general law that gives a person an automatic right to view all recordings that they are a part of. The recording typically belongs to the person who made it. That includes things like recorded conversations. However, where there is a lawsuit pending, a person has a right to request all documentation, recordings, and other evidence that is related to the proceedings through the discovery process. A lawyer can also subpoena recordings if he is planning to file a lawsuit where the video could be relevant evidence. For example, if A made a video of B hitting me, I could subpoena it to use in a battery lawsuit against B.

If you could give some more facts about your situation, it's possible there could be a more specific law that would apply.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney