How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just moved into my home in February. My boyfriend moved

Customer Question

I just moved into my home in February. My boyfriend moved I'm with also. He is not on the lease and the property management does not know that he is living here also. We broke up and he refuswas to leave. What can I do legally to get him out. He has threatened to hurt me and destroy all my belongings.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: That's it other than I'm sacred that he will hurt me
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

There are 3 things to address this situation:

  • If you find yourself in immediate danger, please contact law enforcement (9-1-1) immediately
  • You can take out a civil restraining order against your boyfriend if you can show that he poses an "imminent threat of physical harm" - you can find forms with your local court (most states have them online).
  • You can also evict your boyfriend from the property (you would be acting the same as a "landlord"), by giving him 30 days notice to vacate. Again, you can find forms with your local court (and again, many states have forms online).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. So, if I get the civil restraining order, he can be served here? And then what happens, I'm guessing if he doesn't leave I can call the police.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.