How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55602
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a used car from a well known car lot; it turned out

Customer Question

i bought a used car from a well known car lot; it turned out that the car had been in a front
end collision but the dealership said nothing nor did it show up on car facts as someone
fixed it enough that it did not show all the damage to the undercarriage. that was just the
first of my problems but have finally got the $6,500 back & a cheaper interest rate but
they refused to have the undercarriage fixed. it cost me $750 to have the ncessary work
done; i didn't have the funds to have everything done. i have all the paper work but i
don't know if i have a financial claim against them or not but at least i would like to bring
this to the public eye & perhaps save someone else from this nightmare.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi Judy. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You do have recourse here to get all your money back, including the $750. What you want to do is raise the stakes on them. Even though it's a used car and there my have been no warranty, you still have recourse. A seller is obligated to disclose anything the seller knows or should have known that a reasonable buyer would consider material in making the decision whether or not to buy the car. Previously being in a collision is clearly something the seller knew or should have known about and it clearly qualifies as a material item that a reasonable buyer would consider in making their decision. You can tell the seller in buying the car without a warranty you were relying upon his duty to disclose anything material he knew. If he does not agree to take the car back and refund your money, you want to raise the stakes on your seller. In that case, you should send the seller a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history and misrepresentation and lack of disclosure and demand he reimburse you for the $750 in full within a short specified period of time. Inform your seller that if your demand is not timely complied with, you will have no choice but to file a suit against him for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as fraud and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, the seller will settle this without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the fraud and/or deceptive trade practice judgments being on the record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!