How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3987
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got into an accident without insurance and the person's

Customer Question

Hello I got into an accident without insurance and the person's insurance paid their bill and then sold the debt to a debt collection agency and they want me to pay an enormous amount of money to get on that payment plan otherwise they're going to petition with California to take my license I don't have a job right now because of injuries is abstained from that accident and I've been making $10 a month payment to them that's as much as I can right now because I have me to take care still have my daughter and my fiance and we need food so I can make it $10 payment right now until I get another job can they take my license
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if they take my license can I sue them for trying to prosecute me for being poor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The police have the responsibility of filing a no insurance report at the time of the accident, a private party has no authority to do so.

If they have threatened any criminal or administrative action against in attempting to collect a debt they have likely violated the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act regulates and restricts debt collectors in the way they can go about collecting debts. Threatening and harassing you is a violation of that law.

These articles discusses the law in more detail:

Here is a link to the law:

The law allows that you can sue for violations in local court. This means that you can bring an action in small claims court.

The court would have the forms that you need.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,