Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Audan. Slander, Are you an expert in the field of slander

Customer Question
Audan. Slander JA: Thanks. Can you...
Audan. Slander
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Are you an expert in the field of slander laws in Alabama?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/14/2016
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What can I answer for you in regards ***** ***** in Alabama, or defamation in general? (Slander is verbal defamation, libel is written defamation - they are for the most part two sides of the same coin.)

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is an old case concerning students accusing teacher of trying to molest a student. It was a long while before teacher was aware of being accused of that. The accusing students were from the former year. The current class displayed behavior showed they were responding to gossip. The environment of the class and school was so bad teacher left and retired that year.
Nothing else has been done except enemies are still slandering my name. I now feel my boss was actually trying to help me in some way. I feel I need to clear my name by making a statement to get this slandering to stop. I did not try to molest any child.

Okay. Of course these are unfortunate events. So, what can I answer for you in regards ***** *****? For example: "Can I sue the person spreading these rumors" or "When does the statute of limitations for defamation begin to run," etc?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This has run about 14 years. I don't care to sue, I just need to try to clear my name and stop the slander.

So in other words, while avoiding suing or threatening to sue, you want to figure out a way to quash this rumor from constantly recurring?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like it publically made that I am not a molester. Yes. Strangers stare, friends begin to behave differently. One lady told me two weeks ago, after she and her family had been so friendly, said I still love you and have been treating me very cold. I have thought of asking her what hadshe heard and how has she heard it .

Thank you. With respect, I am not sure how to answer your question because this seems to deal more with student/professor relations and campus politics than a question about legal doctrine. I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts. Perhaps another will have a better idea.

Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.

My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck...

Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Do you know who the students were who began this terrible rumor about you? And how was it disseminated? Was it online, was it all verbal from one person to the other? Are you still employed?

Tina, Lawyer