How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28316
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently live in Merrillville, Indiana. My ex boyfriend

Customer Question

I currently live in Merrillville, Indiana. My ex boyfriend purchased a car with his money and put it in my name. I want him to transfer the title out of my name but he refuses to do so and I would like to know what my options are to either get the car back or the title transferred.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We are no longer together. He has the car. It is titled in my name and I have the title and registration in my possession. I would like to get the car out of my name or the car returned to me since I am paying the insurance every month. The car was paid for in whole with cash he had but put in my name.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Do you know why he would not want the car in his name and to take it back if he paid? Is he doing this since he knows you will maintain the insurance? Do you know where the vehicle is and do you have a key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The original reason the car was put in my name was it was cheaper to get the tags and plates. I don't know why he won't transfer it in to his name as he isn't speaking to me at the moment. I can assume the car is somewhere in Chicago, Illinois as to that is where he is currently staying. I do have a key to the car still as well as the title and registration.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. At this time, you are the legal and rightful owner of the vehicle. It is in your name and if you know where it is, can take your own car back, as long as it does not cause any problems or disturb the peace. It makes no sense for him to not want to take the car back, since he paid and if you take it back, you can then keep it or sell it and take the proceeds, since again, it is in your name. Maybe if you can make this clear to him, that he will be losing the car, he will put the car in his name. If he refuses and you can not get the car back, then you can call the police and see if they will get involved and if they will not ( since they may since this is civil, not criminal), then you can sue him for the return of the vehicle.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!