How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4827
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend is in jail right now on a f5 charge of theft from

Customer Question

Hello my friend is in jail right now on a f5 charge of theft from a store his cousin owns and he works at too. His cousin is the one wjo pressed te charges but now wants to drop the friend had a preliminary hearinf already and has court again friday. Would he be let go if his cousin comes in and drops the charges? Wouls he have to go to court again
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Heloo. I'll be happy to assist you.

There are really two separate questions here. The first question is whether, legally, the state can go forward if he wants drop charges. The second question is whether they actually will.

From a purely legal perspective, the state can proceed even though the cousin doesn't want them to. The crime of theft only requires that something be taken against the will of the actual owner. In theory, they don't need the owner on board to do that. They only need him to testify to what he originally said. With that said, most DA's offices will not continue to pursue charges if the victim doesn't want to anymore. It's just not worth their time and resources if the victim doesn't want them to proceed.

If the state drops charges as a result of the victim no longer wanting to press charges, he will not have to go to court any more.

Related Legal Questions