Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My dogs got out of my yard and attacked at cat running down

Customer Question

My dogs got out of my yard and attacked at cat running down the road what can I do to get my dogs back
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
So your dogs are being held by animal control for being out and attacking the cat? Have you contacted animal control yet, as you are going to have to pay for any medical expenses of the cat and also you are going to have to make alterations to your yard to prevent them from escaping in the future as they can now be labelled dangerous animals for attacking the cat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I talked to animal control my yard has a private fence around it someone opened the gate to let them out
Thank you for your reply.
What did animal control state, since you are going to have to satisfy their local requirements now to get them returned?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They haven't told me much I wasn't in town when it happened but I really want to get my dogs back I understand I will have to pay medical expenses for the cat but should that owner be in troble to for her cat running at large also
Thank you for your reply.
You are going to have to pay not just the medical bills but the fine for your dogs running at large. The law says dogs must be leashed, it does not say the same about cats I am afraid. You need to contact the animal control office and make arrangements with them and you will likely have to attend a hearing as well to satisfy them that someone let the dogs out and they did not get out on their own to show your yard is properly secured and they will not get out again in the future.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have called them and they haven't called me back and the animal control seen my yard that where they picked them up at
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can they kill my dogs over this
Thank you for your reply.
You need to contact them on Monday. They cannot kill your dogs without giving you the opportunity for a hearing to present evidence as to why they are not dangerous animals.