My daughter just turned 18 last month. Passport expired,

Customer Question
drivers license scheduled end of...

drivers license scheduled end of this month, has a permit without photo, a school ID with photo, birth certificate, applications to UC schools, applications with FAFSA. Was JUST (03/11) awarded a Regents Scholarship to UC Davis (near Sacramento) and invited to tour the campus and understand benefits and spend weekend with her new peers. Is there anything we can do or go to in San Diego before getting reservations to fly on 04/01/2016 to save me (her father) with driving 18 hours over a weekend? Same school system SD unified since 2003 I'm sure would be willing to help. Has Kaiser health plan since birth here in SD. Taken several Disney Cruises (hence old passport) Any suggestions on getting anything approved in advance of the day of travel?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
3/13/2016
Lawyer: Cerecita,
 replied 2 years ago
Cerecita

Hi, John and welcome!

Of the items you mentioned, a few may help your daughter get through TSA screening without a problem: her driver's license permit without photo and her school ID with photo. She can also show the birth certificate. These would require 'additional' screening, which takes longer, so it's advised to arrive at the airport 2 hours earlier than you normally would. The TSA has databases they can check, with information your daughter may have to fill out on a form, plus, show these aforementioned items, to prove her identify and allow her to board the plane.

However, I have a few other suggestions that might be more helpful: have your daughter get a State ID with photo, from your local DMV and she can use this as her official photo ID; she can try to apply for and get, a renewed passport at an official agency that specializes in 'rush' passports (usually costs more), or she can try to move her driver's license test up, from the date she already has the appointment, if at all possible; then she should get the license on the spot, and that can be her main and preferred form of photo ID.

Curiously enough, a birth certificate and a social security card are not considered official forms of ID for traveling (TSA) and neither are the other items you mentioned. You can see the TSA's official list of acceptable ID's at the site below:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Scroll all the way down, for information about additional screening, in the absence of an acceptable form of ID.

At this point, I'd concentrate on your daughter getting the official state ID with photo, from any local Dept. of Motor Vehicles. Call them first, to make sure you get it that same day and don't have to wait for it to be mailed. That's how it works in my state--you get it on the spot, after you fill out the forms, pay the fee (usually small) and your picture is taken.

I hope you found my suggestions helpful and all will go well with your daughter's trip! Congrats to you both for her getting into UC Davis--a wonderful school!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Lawyer: Cerecita,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi again, John.

I'm just following up with you to see how things are going and if your daughter was able to get that State ID, in place of a driver's license, or any other form of ID, so she can fly without a TSA screening problem.

I also wanted to know if you found my suggestions helpful and if so, please let me know here, and/or provide a positive rating so I get credit for assisting you. Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

If you have any other questions about this matter, I will be glad to continue to help.

Warmest wishes,

Cher