How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13748
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother broke her p in December. they then took her to a

Customer Question

my mother broke her hip in December. they then took her to a rehab center. the doctor is a real (not a nice word) winner. after 3 weeks took 1/2 staples out and she was fine. She laid in g=her feces for 1 1/2 hours before help arrived. the following week it started getting red and mom was experiencing pain. 2 weeks later the redness has spread to her knees. we called the doctor and after 2 days, he said if she is hurting go to the hospital. the doctor says if infected the will cut her open. Well they did and according to the records a LITER of fluid came out!. (now her wound NEVER leaked. He claimed to put antibiotic beads in. Well she felt better but a week later the took an x ray and the pins were coming out. Now she cant EVEN move her leg. We continued to call the doctor and he continues to tell us there is nothing wrong and to leave him alone! Last week we went to a different doctor and diagnosed that he did not get all the infection out, never put anti biotic beads in there and will have to take the whole hip out and wait until infection clears and replace the hip again. I want his liscense! what can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. The treatment she is experiencing sounds awful, and far below what would be expected from medical professionals. With respect to his license, you'll need to file a complaint with the Texas Medical Board. If you click on that link, it will take you to some more information and you can even file the complaint online. You can read about the enforcement process and the possible sanctions here.

I would also encourage you, if you have not done so already, to contact a personal injury attorney about a possible medical malpractice claim. You raise some serious concerns -including your mother laying in her own waste, the infection being allowed to spread, the antibiotic never being put in after they told you it was, etc. Clearly more damage has been done, and now your mother faces additional recovery time as well as more pain and suffering, to say nothing of what future care and treatment she may need.

Medical malpractice claims are generally taken on a contingency basis, meaning you only pay a fee if the lawyer is able to recover money for you. The Texas State Bar Association has a lawyer referral service that can put you in touch with a lawyer and set up an initial 30 minute consultation for $20. If your mother is unable to attend or participate by phone, I would recommend she execute a Power of Attorney for the time being so that one of you is able to manage her affairs for her if she doesn't have one currently. You'll also want to see about getting as many of your mom's medical records as you can prior to a consult with a lawyer since they will want to review those to render a qualified opinion.

If you need further information or clarification, please reply and I'll be happy to assist you.