Our son was to have 2 Year Financial Aid agreement with New…

Customer Question
Our son was to have...
Our son was to have 2 Year Financial Aid agreement with New Hampton School in New Hampton, NH. I had a phone call argument with his hockey coach in January and they say that is grounds for not renewing for this coming school year. They also say they don't do 2 year program and everything is year-to -year. I have a email by the hockey coach stating it is a 2 year deal. Is this something I can sue them over?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
3/11/2016
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If your agreement states 2 years, it is 2 years. The email message is not a contractual agreement. What does the actual financial aid deal you signed say, do you have a copy you can upload a link to? If you are relying on the email, that would not be sufficient for court.
The contract with the coach was a verbal contract supported by the email I sent you as proof we agreed to 2 years. Would that not stand up in court if he was made to take stand and confirm what we agreed to. I can't find a copy of the what we signed, but wouldn't his verbal contract agreement override anything that may say differently?
Thank you for your reply.
NH will allow enforcement of an oral contract. If the 2 years of financial aid was offered and accepted without any stipulations it was revocable or subject to renewal, you would be able to sue them for breach of contract for trying to cancel the agreement now. However, you would need to find the written agreement, because quite the opposite of what you said above, a written agreement supersedes any oral agreement. So you have to find out what you signed, because that would be the binding contract and in absence of any written agreement then you could use what you have above to prove the oral contract.