Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My son turned 17 in Jan he has been a truant child on and

Customer Question

My son turned 17 in Jan he has been a truant child on and off since age 5 he does have a learning disability and severe depression and social anxiety hwe have tried and been threatened with everything from probation to foster care and now he is 17 jail he was doing good for while until this last few months and staredt getting bullied and hates school comes up with every excuse to not go or get out early now I got call today they taken him back to court in front of judge and boiard he has good grades when he goes it's gettn so bad again hevgets sick on stomach every morning I can't deal with another year of courts or the thought of jail I nhave some major health issues myself and just making it vworse stressing this once again he got dropped in Dec of 2015 fr OK m court system now they picking it back yup in city we moved to last November what can I do about GED or homeschooling something got give neither one of us can handle this tll Jan when nhe turns ,18 any advice would be appreciated thanks this moms going crazy and very depressed and don't know what to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our meeting is 22nd of March at courthouse also do children his age with disability's have the right to be homeschooled or get GED he has an IEP in school under the learning disability law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

No, he does not have a right to be "homeschooled or get GED." However, you can make a request to the Court for him to be "homeschooled" if going to school is no longer an option. You should continue to work with IEP to figure out how best to deal with his education.