How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

It seems that someone has registered a car under my name in

Customer Question

it seems that someone has registered a car under my name in the state of nyc i dont even own a car, what should i do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm getting calls from some insurance/registration office they seem to have a name and number for a honda civic, that's all i know
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of practice experience handling matters of this nature. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

First off, I am sorry you are having to go through this issue. Here are some steps to take in the interim:

- Send in a certified letter with a return receipt with a written and notarized statement from you that you do not own a car and that you request that the registration of this vehicle be revoked. In the accompanying letter, leave your contact information and tell them to contact you with questions and to notify you when this request is processed;

- Send a letter notifying the NY Attorney General's Office of this issue and request assistance. Place copies of your letter and sworn statement to the registration office for their awareness;

- It appears that your identify has been stolen, so you also need to file a fraud report with the credit bureaus, which you can do online; and

- Just as a word of advice, when you send your letter to the registration office, make it to the attention of their legal office (you will have more success that way) - also make sure that all of your correspondence is sent certified with a return receipt.

If these entities do not help, you can file a petition with the superior court to have this registration revoked (all of the aforementioned correspondence will be great evidence to persuade the court to rule in your favor).

When you find out who has done this, I would report them to the police as well as to the FBI.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my work.


Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in this morning to see if you had any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward on this issue. Thanks

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking one last time on you to see if there are any other issues. Thanks