How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother had purchased property in Vermont many years ago,

Customer Question

My brother had purchased property in Vermont many years ago, built a house and been living there for 20 something years. There was an old(1936) Chevy truck in the woods that lay apart and had a tree growing up through it, the motor, transmission and rear end were missing. He gave me the truck and i have been working on it for several years, i am getting close to the point where i need a title for this vehicle and possible registration. What do i have to do? Being so old they didn't have a ser. # ***** then, just a motor number and tag saying body model and plant where assembled. Any help on this would be appreciated,.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and thanks for using Just Answer for this interesting question. As you can understand, this is not a question that is commonly asked of lawyers. You really need to consult a MA antique car club or a local collector for the best 'how to' information on this. Try: (apparently they have no phone number) or:

Although your situation may not fit their criteria exactly, you might also try to obtain a salvage title from the MA DMV:

I wish you the best of luck in your restoration project.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already have looked these sites up on line..not much help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

I will open up the question again and perhaps someone else may have some ideas. You may also try resubmitting it under the Antiques category. Good luck.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In MA, a vehicle purchased before 1990 and that is older than a 1980 does not need title. So, one option is if you brother gives you a bill of sale dated October 1990, that is all you need in MA to go register the vehicle, no title is necessary. You would need to go to a local police agency to get a serial number put on the vehicle as it does not have one and they would need to register that at the registry when you register the vehicle and obtain registration.
If you cannot get a bill of sale dated before November 1990, then you would have to file a petition to quiet title in the local MA court and prove no owner is known and the circumstances of you acquiring the vehicle and get the court to issue you an order issuing title. This process requires an attorney and is a bit more time consuming than getting a bill of sale from your brother.