How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31687
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend's ex-husband secretly have her friends who have

Customer Question

My friend's ex-husband secretly have her friends who have contacts with their children investigated for criminal records, I want to know if that is legal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

What exactly are these people doing to investigate the criminal records of these people?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her ex-husband constantly harasses her about issues that relates to their two young children. He secretly investigate one of her friends and found out that this friend has a son that was convicted of drug possession three years ago. Now he is trying to stop her from taking the children to this friends house, My question is whether he has the right to do this, my friend is not looking into the people has in his life that has contacts with their children.(hope I am clear) thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what and how he is doing it-- but some how he has the record.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thanks.

There's nothing illegal about checking public records of other people or doing background checks on anyone you'd like to. In fact, it's now pretty simple with the internet. You can get a criminal background check within a matter of minutes. So, as long as the person isn't illegally accessing confidential databases (like NCIC or some other government information site reserved for law enforcement), it's likely completely legal.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But is it right for him to tell her that this person's mother can not watch the children anymore(this person lives with his mom). He had a past and he is not the baby sitter(his mom is). She does not go around investigating the people he has around the children.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Well, he has the right to object as a parent, but the mother doesn't have to go along with it......IF the father wants to push the issue and keep the child away from this person, he can ask the court to enter a restraining order or to prohibit contact. But, short of him taking that action, there's really no authority in his objections.