Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Id like to know what Im allowed to record from an audio and

Customer Question

Id like to know what Im allowed to record from an audio and video perspective from my property. can you help with that? I can provide more details, but not sure your expertise?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes a property behind us had been approved for development after it was a former coal and oil depot. Soon after excvation oil and other contaiminatsn have been discovered. we over heard a conversation between a state official and took notes. they were on the other property but we could hear from our property. we did not record this conversation but didnt have anything to record with.however we wondered if it would be legal to record their conversation loud enough to be heard from our property via audio or video?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can record anything you want on video that you can see from your property or public property. AS far as audio, you need consent of the parties, so if you inform them while you are recording that it is being recorded then if they continue that is their consent.
They cannot stop you from recording video from anywhere you have a legal right to be. However, if there is a conversation, you need consent to record the audio even in a public place.