How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My car has been booted due to unpaid parking tickets. I need

Customer Question

My car has been booted due to unpaid parking tickets. I need to pay $1,000.00 which I do not have in order to get the boot off or back if towed. Can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello Clara

This is Samuel and I will provide you information in this regard.

Vehicles are booted because they have five or more unpaid, overdue parking citations. You must pay all fines and late fines, as well as a $150.00 boot fee, in order to have the boot removed. You must also provide proof that the vehicle has current registration. Citations must be contested within 21 days of the date the citation is issued, or 14 days of the date of the first overdue notice. Once that period of time has expired, you lose your statutory right to contest that citation. There is no appeal.

There are few exceptions to this rule. However, if you are contesting your citation on the grounds that the vehicle was stolen, the vehicle no longer belonged to you at the time the citation was issued, or the sole registered owner of the vehicle is now deceased, you have an unlimited period of time to request an Initial Review

The Parking Violation Bureau does not grant payment extensions. A payment must be received within 21 days of the date the citation was issued, or 14 days from the date of the first overdue notice. Otherwise, late fees will be added, which often double the citation fine. Additional collections fees will be added if the citation remains unpaid after the initial late penalty is assessed.

However, they do accept Credit Cards and maybe to avoid additional fines you can use a card to pay it.

I wish it was better news for you. Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification or more information. Otherwise, a positive rating here ensures I get credit for my time in providing you this information.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then should I contact a local attorney to solve this?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

I suggest the only way to resolve it is to make the payment before other fines pile on. Unless your car was stolen at the time of the tickets being issued. Then yes, you should consult with a local attorney. Otherwise, there is nothing a local attorney is going to be able to do and you will also be paying the attorney.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

But certainly you can consult with a local attorney to see what type of assistance they can provide and at what price.