How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41550
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received a summary judgment against my s corp. how

Customer Question

i just received a summary judgment against my s corp. how will it effect my company will the judgment just take the money our of ny bank and what happens is there is not enough money does the attachment to my bank account stays until its fulfilled
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

The judgment would then allow them to try and garnish your corporate account if they can locate it for the amount of the judgment.You may choose to try and negotiate with law firm to resolve the judgment and avoid this if you can do so.It is not an automatic that they locate the account but they usually can do so using credit bureaus and asset tracing.The garnishment stays on the account until judgment is paid off and then it would be released.

It would be in your interest here to try and resolve this prior to garnishment.Your other option would be a new s corporation and transferirng business and bank account set up in that name, letting the current s corporation die out with no funds or assets they can garnish.Long term thats a real option to start a second s corporation.Thats really the main benefit of a corporation is ability to fold it up and leave the judgment pending with no means to collect here in NY.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.