How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 5617
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father applied security disability and denied by ADJ ,it

Customer Question

My father applied for social security disability and denied by ADJ ,it was done through attorney, consulted another attorney,advised to get letter from doctor, he is suffering from heart problem.Kindly how and what doctor should write in letter
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

First off I assume he is treating with a cardiologist and not a primary care or family doctor...SSA is going to want records from a specialist. You'll want the doctor to fill out a medical source statement form which basically provides an opinion on ability to work. I've attached a sample medical source statement for you to submit or use as a guide.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doctor already something like social security asked. New attorney wants something personal note from doctor.Kindly help

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I see. I suspect what the attorney is seeking is something a treating doctor is not qualified to opine on for all intents and purposes. Specifically, if he's not requesting the medical eval, he's asking for something occupational - i.e., an opinion on your dad's ability to do his past job or any job within his qualifications in the economy. A doctor is not an occupational/vocational expert and has no basis to make that remark. A vocational or functional capacity exam would be best but those cost money. Anyway, that's what you'd ask the doctor for - provide perhaps a job description of his past work to the doctor and ask if he'll opine in writing that your dad is not able to do the specific job. I'm not sure what credibility the ALJ would give it for the reasons stated above.