My father applied security disability and denied by ADJ ,it…

Customer Question
My father applied for social...
My father applied for social security disability and denied by ADJ ,it was done through attorney, consulted another attorney,advised to get letter from doctor, he is suffering from heart problem.Kindly how and what doctor should write in letter
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
3/8/2016
Lawyer: John, Attorney replied 2 years ago
John, Attorney

First off I assume he is treating with a cardiologist and not a primary care or family doctor...SSA is going to want records from a specialist. You'll want the doctor to fill out a medical source statement form which basically provides an opinion on ability to work. I've attached a sample medical source statement for you to submit or use as a guide.

Doctor already something like social security asked. New attorney wants something personal note from doctor.Kindly help

I see. I suspect what the attorney is seeking is something a treating doctor is not qualified to opine on for all intents and purposes. Specifically, if he's not requesting the medical eval, he's asking for something occupational - i.e., an opinion on your dad's ability to do his past job or any job within his qualifications in the economy. A doctor is not an occupational/vocational expert and has no basis to make that remark. A vocational or functional capacity exam would be best but those cost money. Anyway, that's what you'd ask the doctor for - provide perhaps a job description of his past work to the doctor and ask if he'll opine in writing that your dad is not able to do the specific job. I'm not sure what credibility the ALJ would give it for the reasons stated above.