I returned an item for $375.00 to manufacturer. Just

Customer Question
I returned an item for...
I returned an item for $375.00 to manufacturer. Just received a check in the amount of $5338.50 indicating I returned 2 invoices. Can I deposit this check and send a new check for the difference? Or do I have to notify the manufacturer and ask them to re-write the check in the correct amount? I really don't want to wait another 2 months to get my refund.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2016
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Loren, Attorney

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Unfortunately, since there is really no disputing that you are not the owner or intended recipient of the check, you will need to return the check and wait for a new corrected draft to be issued. Otherwise, it is possible you would be potentially liable for conversion.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.