How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33098
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I returned an item for $375.00 to manufacturer. Just

Customer Question

I returned an item for $375.00 to manufacturer. Just received a check in the amount of $5338.50 indicating I returned 2 invoices. Can I deposit this check and send a new check for the difference? Or do I have to notify the manufacturer and ask them to re-write the check in the correct amount? I really don't want to wait another 2 months to get my refund.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, since there is really no disputing that you are not the owner or intended recipient of the check, you will need to return the check and wait for a new corrected draft to be issued. Otherwise, it is possible you would be potentially liable for conversion.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.