Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have an STD that is not V. I had sex with someone and we

Customer Question

I have an STD that is not HIV. I had sex with someone and we chose not to use condoms sometimes. It is unlikely that he contracted it, but I told him that I have it and now he is threatening me. Can I go to jail for this? Could I be sued?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this. This situation depends highly on what state/jurisdiction this is in - can you please tell me what state this is in?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Minnesota.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

CRIMINAL

See HERE. It may be a criminal matter if an STD was passed on to a person when the person has not disclosed the infection prior to the conduct. However, the key is that the STD was not disclosed. If it was, then the statute does not apply. It would be your word against his if he decides to file a criminal complaint, about whether or not the STD was disclosed prior to sexual activity.

CIVIL

See HERE. An individual may be used for transmitting an STD. However again, this all depends on whether or not the STD was DISCLOSED prior to the sexual activity being initiated.

In both cases, if it can be shown that the STD was disclosed and the other person passed on protection, then both criminal and civil matters would likely fail.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!