How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13890
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have proof that someone told me they would give me my

Customer Question

If I have proof that someone told me they would give me my money back on a purchase then goes on public sites and to private people and says I called her vaulted names ect. And I also have proof of what she claims do I have a reason to file a case and if so what do I file for?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

You could sue her for the money owed you, however, I do not see a claim for anything else (such as defamation of character) unless you can prove you suffered significant damages as a result of what she was saying about you. Defamation of character requires that a defendant intentionally or negligently made a false statement or statements about you (in writing and/or spoken) to a third person or persons, that resulted in damages. However, because a court cannot compensate a person for things like hurt feelings, anger, and outrage, damages such be in a substantive, provable form -e.g., if her comments caused your business to fail and you lost your $500,000 a year income and your home was foreclosed on, then you have significant, recoverable damages.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you further. Thank you.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

If you do not have any further questions about this matter, please remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for our time and expertise, even if you have paid a deposit to the site. Thank you.