How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30168
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was stabbed at the dam bar in Colorado klahoma December

Customer Question

I was stabbed at the dam bar in Colorado klahoma December 19th 2014 by brandon *********** intern informant and a presto dropped all charges in the best interest justice the manager of general manager of the bar cleaned up the fingerprints on the weapon and was arrested for public intoxication and was clean up my blood on the ground when it was yellow taped can I go after the bar and the general manager and Brandon *************
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Battery is both a crime and a tort. If someone stabbed you, you have the ability to sue even if police declined to prosecute that person. The standard of proof is lower in civil court than criminal, so you do not have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was the one who did it. The standard of proof for a civil case is "by a preponderance of the evidence." You'll be able to testify on your own as to what happened and call any witnesses. If there is evidence that the manager was helping Brandon cover up what he did, you can also sue HIM for battery, and you can sue both of them for conspiracy. Damages will include not only your hospital expenses, but punitive damages.

The bar typically is not responsible for the criminal acts of employees or the criminal acts of third parties who are visiting. In order to seek damages from the bar, you'd have to be able to establish that they had a specific obligation to protect you, which typically would require some kind of written agreement. But you can sue the person who stabbed you and the person who tried to help him get away with it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.