How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42303
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received several lump sums in February because I won my

Customer Question

I received several lump sums in February because I won my disability case. I passed along the information past the 10 day deadline. With food stamps that is acceptable as long as you update 10 days after the month, with medicaid and cash assistance it has to be ten days, I made an error and though everthing was same. I updated all my information on March 3rd as far as money and assets go.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: If you receive cash assistance or are on medicaid you must report changes of income in ten days. If its food stamps you have until the end of that month plus 10 days to report changes in income.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you.Can you tell me your state and are you asking what the penalty here would be from medicaid?

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Here are the penalties.

If you receive any Medicaid assistance to which you are not legally entitled, you will be held liable for repayment of that assistance even if you did not intentionally withhold or misrepresent information but simply forgot to report or thought the information would not affect your eligibility. Until repaid, such assistance will be considered a debt owed by you to the State of Arkansas. Under current law, it may be recovered by withholding all or a portion of any future state income tax refunds to which you may be entitled.They can also deny you medicaid benefits here as well until spend down is complete.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Medicaid may or not penalize you here, there is discretion , they determine whether they feel it was not intentional.Since you did self report here they may not penalize you at all.All you can do is see what action they take here.You did the best you can.