I was interested in buying a brick and mortar boutique from…

Customer Question
Hi I was interested in...
Hi I was interested in buying a brick and mortar boutique from a lady and she changed the price the day she told me she needed to know a definite answer by and told me there was someone else interested in the shop at full price. We had agreed on a price but never had any sort of paperwork drawn up. I backed out and told her to let the other lady have it because we couldn't pay full price for it. I think the other lady either backed out or that there was never a second person and she was just trying to get more money out of me. I have now decided to start an online boutique and she has sent me messages saying that what we talked about is intellectual property. I am not copying any of her ideas, logos, clothing brands or anything. I haven't responded anything back to her. Can she legally do anything since there was nothing in writing about anything? Also, she never gave me advice about an online shop. When we talked about business stuff it was how to run a brick and mortar shop. Am I in the wrong for backing out and starting my own online shop?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
3/5/2016
Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Good Morning. Thanks for submitting your question. Generally, any offer to purchase a business must be in writing, signed by the purchaser and accepted by the owner before it has any legal effect. None of those requirements seem to be present in your situation. Likewise, a verbal discussion about the general operation of a business does not qualify as intellectual property in the slightest degree. It would thus appear that you have nothing to worry about. I wish you good luck in your new business. Please rate my Answer so that I will be credited with assisting you.

if she goes to a lawyer they will tell her she doesn't have a case? Also, She did show me her books so I could see how her shop had been doing because she was only open for about 6 months. Does that change anything?

So if she goes to a lawyer they will tell her she doesn't have a case?

I KNOW I WOULD.

Seeing her books doesn't mean a thing. Even if you had signed a formal confidentiality agreement, you are not using her information for anything and you haven't disclosed her information to anyone.

There's nothing illegal about opening up a business that is similar to another one that you have been shown the operation of. The lady is blowing smoke

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney