Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I'm not sure what options I have. I was assessed $500 in

Customer Question
I'm not sure what options...
I'm not sure what options I have. I was assessed $500 in property damage by a hotel that I stayed at with a guest several weekends ago. This assessment happened after my friend had checked out on my behalf (I had left earlier to go to work). After receiving the notice, I asked to involve the police since we wanted to at least find the people responsible. The hotel representative specifically stated they didn't want to get the police involved. After escalating to the GM (I was asking for a refund, or deferment of payment while the issue was investigated), I was denied again. I asked to meet with the GM on site and was greeted by the police and cited for trespassing and asked to leave. I then proceeded to escalate to their corporate office who believed that the GM and his representatives acted properly in this manner.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: At no time was I violent or out of line, all I was was a customer trying to escalate an issue. And as a result, I've been banned from the hotel which restricts my ability to reserve hotels in that area through Priceline bidding, and I've been stonewalled in my ability to have the police investigate what happened.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I'd like to know what options I have in front of me. This comes off as a money grab where the amount is small enough that people are forced to eat the charge when the actual crime is covered up and not investigated at all. I want to know what rights I have.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $31 after the Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have emails and attachments that I can provide, but it's not clear what the best way of doing that is.
The emails include my specific conversation with hotel representatives, but would not include a phone conversation between the hotel rep and my friend as well as various voice messages and the actual encounter at the hotel where they "barred" me from the hotel, apparently never to return.My current escalation is the VP of operations at AtriumHospitality who I've asked the following:
1. Why did you deter me from asking the police to look into the matter? Is that corporate policy?
2. Why was I banned? I'm the victim here, and I've done nothing wrong, I was never violent or even aggressive in my dealings with the hotel. It was never said that coming on site was unwelcome, and now that weeks have gone by with my bank account overdrawn, I'm behind a financial 8-ball that would have been reasonably avoidable had the hotel just agreed to work with me a little. I understand that's not their obligation, but there's a large spectrum of responses, and the response of "call the police" on the software engineer who is asking legitimate questions about a supposed theft on the property that cost him $500 doesn't remotely seem fair. I'm told Justice Court is an option, but it's unclear what my rights are.My other option is social media and just raising a stink of general unfairness, contacting the BBB and possibly the attorney general. But I have no legal knowledge (esp in Texas) that would support anything other than, "Wow, these guys seem like terrible people."
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm driving home from work - it is Friday 3/4/16 @ 532pm, it's not clear if this is something that will be handled today, but I look forward to your response. Hopefully something useful will come of it. Thanks.
3/5/2016
Lawyer: Nishan Parlakian,
 replied 1 year ago
Nishan Parlakian

Vincent, yeah that is a really tacky thing for them to do. "we say so, and that's the way it is" what a bunch of BS. Anyway the most obvious approach is to dispute the charge n the credit card if that is possible. If not possible I think that it you have really run the gamut of trying to resolve amicable. This has turned adversary and I think you would be justified in taking this to small claims court. Let them explain to a judge why they charged you $500 without explanation and without trying to amicably resolve. You should get a copy of the police report (which I 'm sure they will adduce) to show you did all you could to resolve. By the way, in suing, in small claims, add in all of the expense in thinking about this matter, calling, texting, driving, court costs, etc. I know this might seem like a drastic step but it is the only way, in my opinion that they will come to the table. They know the AG will not do anything because it is a private dispute. Yes the BBB is a good idea as is yelp, trip adviser, and similar sites but really it is you against them. If you need some help on what to provide or what points to make on the claim please let me know. I would appreciate you rating me, but I will be here if you want to discuss more or need more info. Good luck, best regards, Sean

Nishan Parlakian
Nishan Parlakian
Nishan Parlakian