Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is it a good thing when your new disabilitv case goes to the

Customer Question
review board...
is it a good thing when your new disabilitv case goes to the review board
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/4/2016
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

To better be able to answer your question, I need some additional information, please.

When you say disability case, are you talking about social security disability (SSI/SSDI)?

If so, are you saying the initial application was denied, and now it's up for review?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hey made a disision on my social sercurity disability case but wont tell me what it is they say it went to the review board this is a new case is that good or bad
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they made a decision on my disability case I don't no what it is then the said it went to the review board is that good or bad
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still there

I'm still here, yes. I'm helping other customers as well, so you just need to give me a little time to type (I'm not as fast as I once was, lol!) Working on your response now, you should have your answer in a few minutes.

There are multiple stages to a social security disability case. The initial stage is after you file the application. Almost everyone is denied at this level, that's not unusual. You would get a letter of the denial, which informs you that you have 60 days to appeal the decision. In many states, the next stage is "reconsideration", which is basically someone else within the Social Security Administration taking a second look at the case. If you are denied again at this stage, you will get another denial letter, again giving you 60 days to appeal, and at that point, request a hearing in front of an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ). If your state doesn't have the reconsideration stage, then your appeal would be to request an hearing.

As someone who has handled hundreds of such hearings, I think they are a good thing. Unlike your case being just a number on a caseworker's desk, you are now going to get to appear before a judge. You'll get to explain about why you are disabled and no longer can work, and your lawyer can ask you questions that showcase your limitations (for example, they may ask you how many hours a day you can do housework, or what the heaviest item you can lift is, how far you can walk without stopping, etc). The downside to a hearing is that in between the denial and the hearing is usually a long wait -typically around a year or more. In some areas, especially larger metropolitan areas, it could be closer to a year and a half or two years. That's because there's a backlog of cases, and not enough judges to hear them all. While waiting for your hearing, it is important to continue with your treatment, and to update your medical records accordingly.

After the hearing, the judge may make an immediate decision, or more commonly, will take the matter under advisement, and a decision will be rendered in approximately 60-90 days. So, while yes, hearings aren't a bad thing, the disability application process by itself is SLOW, and it can take a very long time to get approved. The good news is that you can be eligible for back payments if your case is approved.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you further. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you very much

You're very welcome. One last strong piece of advice -do NOT miss the deadlines to appeal your case or request a hearing, because you will end up having to start all over from the beginning.

If I've been helpful today, please remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) before you sign out, as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for their time and information, even if you have paid a deposit to the site. Thank you.

If you have further questions about this matter or need clarification, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you.Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for their time and expertise, even if you have left a deposit. The deposit is paid to the website, but not shared with the expert until you leave a positive rating. Thank you.

If you have further questions or need clarification about this matter, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are paid for our time and expertise, even if you have previously left a deposit. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Attorney