I was involved in a civil case 20 years ago. My attorney…

Customer Question
I was involved in a...
I was involved in a civil case 20 years ago. My attorney wrote a confidential memorandum. approx 15 pages, to the arbitration judge. It was about my case in a humorous way and the case was settled out of court. He gave me the memorandum and said I could do whatever I wanted with it. He said he thought it would make a great movie.
I'm now thinking about submitting his memorandum about my case to an agent. Do I have any legal responsibilities towards my attorney regarding this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
3/4/2016
Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The lawyer likely has a common law copyright to the memorandum since he drafted it.......but if you were to provide it to an agent for reading, it would likely be considered a "fair use" exception as you're not looking to actually publish the memorandum anywhere.

But, before you do that, you may want to get the lawyer to sign something agreeing to waive any rights to the document just to protect yourself in the event that the agent does want to make a film about your situation. If that were to occur, the lawyer may renege on his previous position and claim a right to or interest in the endeavor.

Roger, Attorney