I collected about 4000 dollars from unemployment while

Customer Question
working in nj now they...
I collected about 4000 dollars from unemployment while working in nj now they want to have interview over the phone what will happen
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
3/4/2016
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel. I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Unless you have done this before, generally they only want the money returned. If you do not agree to return the money then you can be charged with unemployment fraud. Many times, people who are on unemployment and then find work, will forget to notify the unemployment and the checks continue to be deposited.

If you cashed at least 5 checks each for at least $200, you can face charges for second degree insurance fraud. A second degree crime has a mandatory prison sentence of at least 5 years with a max of 10. There also is a fine of up to $150,000.

I suggest you might want to consult with a local criminal defense attorney in your area to be sure that you do not incriminate yourself when talking to the unemployment investigator.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.