Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am in seattle, new, from france. no credit story so no

Customer Question
i am in seattle, new...
i am in seattle, new, from france. no credit history so no bond or insurance or loan possibility.
if i bill (under construction consultant licence) only consulting, and no "work", like cutting wood, plugging wires, putting tiles, i am legal? client would know about it before, they understand my situation. thx
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/4/2016
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

In Washington state you would just need a business license to do such work.You apply for this online here.You are likely going to need an EIN number then for the business.

License..

http://bls.dor.wa.gov/file.aspx

EIN for the business

https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-

This will allow you to consult and receive payments for your business here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and good luck with the business.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you are sure you understand my point? i will still do some work (help people put a piece of wood, plug an outlet, connect a pipe....), but they will know i am not licence in those things. i wish i could have this licence, in 2 years maybe i will be eligible with credit history....
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

You would need a license here if you want to be a legal consultant and be paid for it.Washington state requires a license do do contractor consulting.Otherwise you are illegal here and unlicensed.You can be fined and this would affect your ability to keep on doing this trade down the road.The state of Washington can come after you for operating illegally.You don't want that.You don't need a credit history to register and receive a license.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i know i dont need credit history for licence, but for insurance and bond, i do... that is the issue i have. i can get a licence for consultant easy. the idea i s to help people built their kitchen ot paint their house, they do part of the work. So if i help them carry some wood, plug a outlet....and bill for consultant, am i ok? or not i all?
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

They can hire you as an employee and pay you cash.That keeps you off the grid here.But if you want to go legitimate you need a license and an EIN for tax purposes later on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i though i could go legitimate with consultant licence. not trying to be off the grid here but until insurance and bond are set, i still need to work, and i would be happy to go for the consultant licence, right now. if they pay me cash, i am limited to 12000 dolalrs.....
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

So you may have to take smaller jobs here until you have been her enough time to get bond, etc.You hope no one complains here about you not having license.May be the best you can do.

Thanks again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have to figure out something.....what do you think of this consultant licence? it should get me started, right?
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago

Yes it s a good way to be legitimate and get off to a good start here.

Ray, Lawyer