How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2185
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I married this man in 2012 and while we were married he

Customer Question

I married this man in 2012 and while we were married he caused negative debt under my name that he promised to pay and did not. I left him in May 2015 and as a result of paying for his medical care and various other things, I lost my house and vehicle. He convinced me to file for bankruptcy in July 2014 and then because he did not disclose supposedly owning property in Florida and it sold and needed to close, he told me we needed to discharge the bk which we did in November 2014. I do not know if he ever owned a house or any asset. He was a con man as far as I am concerned but tells me that he has now filed bankruptcy alone and that I am stuck with all the debt. I also loaned this man $8,000 before we were married and before we actually met face to face and I have record of it. He has 2 pending law suits, one is an auto accident that we were involved in and the other is a class action suit from taking testosterone that caused a heart attack while we were married and living together. I know he did not disclose this to the bk court if he did in fact file alone. Nothing that comes out of his mouth is the truth so I have no idea what is and what isn't the truth and I don't know how to proceed and sue him for what he owes me and owes in debt or protect myself from separation date onward. I don't know where he lives in the city and I want to know how I can find out and what I should do first?
Kristina Thurman
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

At this point it would appear a filing for divorce would be your best option. This would allow the judge to order an allocation of the debts and also order that you be compensated for the money you loaned him.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but he tells me that once divorced he is going to file bankruptcy against the debt he owes me and others. This is why I have held off in filing the divorce papers. Also, I have no idea where he resides in town. How can I find out if he actually did file a bk on his own even though we are married? What would be the cheapest way to find out if he owns any property like he told me he did? And I do not see this being a quickee divorce and I have been down this road before and it costed me $15,000 and I don't have that kind of money after what he has done to me.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

It may be easier to talk by phone

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I do that tomorrow during the day?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is fine. Just message me on here. What time are we looking at?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
around 9:30 am?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

What time zone?