I'm staying at a laquinta inn - when Im returned to my room…

Customer Question
I'm staying at a laquinta...
I'm staying at a laquinta inn - when Im returned to my room my very expensive guitar was missing , the manager had me on tape bringing my guitar in when I checked in and he had a unidentified man on tape walking out with I are they liable for my loss
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Legal
I did call the police and they made a report and took all the info
3/3/2016
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

They're not automatically responsible. The laws on "inkeeper's liability" are extremely confusing and convoluted.

One big issue will be whether there was a notice posted limiting their liability. We have stayed at a lot of LaQuinta hotels since they allow pets and usually they have a notice at the front desk, one on the check in slip, one on the desk in the room (or on the dresser or in the bathroom) and one or two more scattered around and in the elevator.

These notices can be sufficient for them to escape liability in certain circumstances. In addition, they can also blame the third party (the thief) and escape liability in that way sometimes.

Finally, they can try and evade liability by blaming you, claiming that you must not have closed your door completely, etc.

So, in essence, you have to be prepared to file a lawsuit and prepare for their defenses.