Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Attempting to purchase a car (finance or lease) a newer

Customer Question
vehicle. I have a 2.5 year...
Attempting to purchase a car (finance or lease) a newer vehicle.
I have a 2.5 year old repossesion outstanding. I have scarfing record showing payment default because I was almost hit and killed by a train - finance company and railroad rather than serve justice said you us $3000.00 since no gap insurance and were even -
How do I fix these records so that I can proceed with a new purchase
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Legal
3/3/2016
Lawyer: Nishan Parlakian,
 replied 1 year ago
Nishan Parlakian

Kevin, at least you lived to tell about it thank goodness. So if I have this right the 3K is outstanding and appears as part of the repossession? And the problem overall is that this is showing up on your credit report? So there is no good way to get the derogatory information off of your credit report-unless it is false. That being said as a consumer lawyer you can try this: First write a letter or dispute the repossession online with each of the three credit reporting companies. When you dispute the credit reporting companies don't have the authorization to remove the information but they must forward the dispute to the bank or whomever is reporting the derogatory information. If the entity reporting does not answer within 30 days then then the derogatory information should be removed. This is not an easy process, however it is within the law. Also, generally if the balance was paid you should be able to obtain some financing even if you are not able to immediately remove the information. This is the only way I am aware of as a consumer attorney to remove the information. You could also ask the bank to report it as satisfied and to remove it but generally I have found that they are not responsive. If there is more information you want me to know about please let me know. Good luck, Sean

Nishan Parlakian
Nishan Parlakian
Nishan Parlakian